Wednesday 29 August 2012

HIIT Cardio - It's a love hate relationship

One of the things my trainer has incorporated into my training is HIIT Cardio (High Intensity Interval Training) 

I'm not gonna lie - it would probably be my most despised activity of the week... BUT it does produce the best trade-off in terms of time spent working out versus results!! 

HIIT involves short bursts of intense anaerobic activity, followed by a rest/recovery period. 
Most HIIT sessions last for between 9-20 minutes - given the high intensity, the sessions can't last for too long, which makes it a quick workout choice to fit into your program. 

Wikipedia tells me that the benefits of HIIT are improved athletic capacity & condition, improved glucose metabolism and improved fat burning. Another benefit of HIIT is that it can be done inside or outside, on a treadmill, elliptical, rower, bicycle etc (which is great news for people with running injuries!) Unlike steady state cardio (ie walking for an hour) your body continues to burn fat after your HIIT session, which is yet another bonus! 

Here is a typical shot of what I look like after my HIIT sessions - not pretty but getting rid of the fat is priority number uno! Mmmm sweaty :P 


Anyway, if you give it a go, let me know how you find it! 

Stay fabulous xx

No comments:

Post a Comment